Many companies, non-profits and even government agencies are downsizing. My workplace is not immune to this reality. Over the summer several positions were cut – about half in my city alone. I lost my job. To be called into an office and be told my position had been eliminated – well it was a shock. I’ve been working here for almost 10 years. I do not want to relive the emotions I went through over the summer. In my case I was fortunate to get another job in a different department. That being said I still learned a few things.
- Never take your job for granted
- Upgrade you skills every year
- Network now – build relationships BEFORE you need them
- A job is just a job. Have an identity outside of work
- Never burn bridges
- Live below your means and have a safety cushion
What I will miss the most are my office decorations. This was my welcome back after our wedding. I never took it down 😛As an extra treat today, our building hosted its annual holiday wine and cheese. Each year the spread gets better and better.